Friday, July 26, 2013

Drinking in College vs. Drinking in Adulthood

Literally what happens to me. Not okay!
It's time to address something that every person entering the real world needs to know: alcohol tolerance depletion.

I'm definitely not the first person to experience my alcohol tolerance decreasing after graduating from college, but  my tolerance has gotten so low to the point that it is absolutely ABSURD. Now, in school by no means was my tolerance high - I maxed out at about 6-8 drinks a night. Pretty low considering I would go out 4+ nights a week, but I made it work. (And saved a little money while I was at it!)

Post-college, however, is an entirely different story. I get INSANELY DRUNK after 1 beer. ONE, BEER. And I can't have more than 4 drinks in a night. I mean, my finances appreciate it, but it's sometimes a major struggle trying to milk one drink for a long time - it gets warm, there's spillage...basically it can be a disaster!

OH, and the hangovers. (I've actually had a recent talk about this with my 26-year-old cousin.) In school, you drink a lot and get obliterated one night, but then you wake up the next day and make it to class or to practice or to the library to study your brains out. It is an inconvenience during your day, but you get through it.

Now, hangovers are COMPLETELY DEBILITATING. That is partially why I have been stuck having movie marathons with myself on Sundays. I LITERALLY cannot get out of bed or do anything productive. And when that happens after having only 4 drinks MAX the night before, I have to question my existence as a human being.

How is this possible?!

<3, Charlotte

4 comments:

  1. Happened to me when I lost weight. Now I could drink half a Cosmo and be tipsy! Before I could have 4-6! But yes, it's better for the wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, your tolerance decreased by SOOO much! That is insane! Wayyy better for your wallet.

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that while I drink more frequently post-college/grad school (which isn't saying much, as I didn't drink at all my first two years at college), I don't drink as much. When I was around my friends in college, I'd drink 3-4 drinks a night...just to the point where I'd know I shouldn't drink more. Now, I'll have a glass of bourbon or a drink here and there, but hardly often. I think it's been almost two months since I've had any alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, truth, I'm drunk after one beer too. Considering NYC prices, I am very thankful for my bottom level tolerance, and it's great for not pudging out too!

    ReplyDelete