Monday, May 20, 2013

No longer a hobo!

I HAVE OFFICIALLY FOUND AN APARTMENT! I am proud to announce that I will be living in Murray Hill for 3 months this summer. It is the biggest relief ever. And I have never had my own set of walls in NYC before, so I'm totally excited.

Some things I learned from my Craigslist search:

  1. There are actually a lot of normal people that use Craigslist. You have to correspond a few times and see how they talk via email, but it is pretty easy to tell who is going to be normal and who is going to be a weirdo!

  2. Time frame is EVERYTHING. A few times, I went to apartments that wanted a year lease, and I told them I only wanted to commit to 3 months at the moment, but I would be more than happy to extend it if everything works out. NEWSFLASH: no one wants to do this process more than they have to! If you don't match with their time frame, don't even bother.

  3. It is impossible to hit everything on your list of apartment criteria. Though I did get a lot of the things I wanted (neighborhood, safety, time frame, building perks, [kind of] price range), I do with my roommates were cooler. I was debating between this apartment and one with an AWESOME roommate, and the apartment itself was nicer than the one I decided to take. However, this building is much nicer in general with a doorman and laundry in the basement. And it happens to be closer to my job which is good.

  4. Your introductory email is incredibly important and needs to be amazeballs. This is the first impression people get of you. If you come off like a boring stiff or essentially say nothing, you’re going to get no traction. Once I fixed my introduction email and included my a link to my Instagram account, I got so many more responses, and people already had me on high priority without even meeting me!


So, yea, I learned a lot from this experience. Hopefully when me and my friend look for apartments in a few months we can use some of this knowledge and get a KICK ASS place!

<3, Charlotte

2 comments:

  1. Yay congrats, girl! Hah I'm a recent DC grad going through my initial NYC apartment hunt too... Hopefully I'll have some luck in finding a place a quickly as you did now!
    I love all your posts, by the way, I feel like we have a ton of shared experiences! Definitely looking forward to following your adventures!

    Best,

    J. Parker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady!
    Oh my goodness, this is the nicest comment I have ever gotten (actually, if you look at the rest of my blog, it's only the 2nd comment I've gotten, but still - THANK YOU!)
    I just started following you, too! And I look forward to your posts :)
    Regarding your apartment search, I really would trust Craigslist (based on the tips I listed in this post, it really is awesome for people on low budgets). Let me know how everything turns out - you should be able to find something soon because pretty much everyone on the site wants to find a roommate quickly!
    Thanks so much again for your comment and visit - we will definitely be in touch in the future I'm sure!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete