Sunday, May 26, 2013

Where should my allegiances lie?

You may be thinking that this post will be about friends or family, or something really meaningful to my career. But it is really about so much more than that.

Sports.


The teams we align ourselves with tell so much about who we are. For example, the fans who root for the teams that always win - I personally think that this is taking the easy way out. It is the fans that, for some reason or another, have decided that they want to root for a team like the Chicago Cubs, the lovable losers, who are out of the playoffs by 11 games this far into the season. (I use this example because, having grown up in Chicago, I am a die-hard Cubs fan). Enduring the pain of getting their hopes up every year, only to get crushed yet again. The pain of being a fan.


Moving to New York, I am somewhat conflicted as to what sports teams I want to call "my own". I absolutely LOVE Chicago sports. The Bulls, Bears, and Cubs are teams that I will forever love and be happy to have been a part of. But sports also bring people together. If I am living in NYC, I want to be able to unite with my fellow New Yorkers and go nuts for my city! But is it terrible for me to give up all my Chicago teams just because of relocating?

[caption id="" align="alignright" width="344"] He just needs to be my best friend.[/caption]

As of now, I feel like I will root primarily for New York teams (obviously only picking 1, I can't root for 2 football teams or 2 basketball teams!), but Chicago will be my second favorite. Sooooo, I am going to be a Giants fan during football season (sorry Bears, I will always love you). When basketball season comes around, I am going to cheer for the Knicks (although this is going to be REALLY hard. Joakim Noah is my favorite basketball player right now. Seriously. I am SO TORN about this!). And baseball. Honestly, I have never really been a fan of the sport. It is cool though because one of my best friends is going to be working for the Boston Red Sox soon (an UNREAL job, right?! I am so proud!). I feel like that is the team I should ultimately root for - it is great that they have such a strong fan base like the Cubs have. Red Sox fans are so strong and determined to stand by their team. My New York baseball team will be the Yankees, I think. The Mets seem lame, but I do hate being the fan of a team that is always good. WHERE IS THE HEART, PEOPLE?!

I'm not one of those insane sports fans, but I really enjoy the camaraderie that sports provide (after all, I was a swimmer in college for 1 year), and posting up at a sports bar all day and watching games is something that I love to do. For now, the Giants, Knicks, and Yankees are my temporary choices, but who knows? A lot can change when I am adapting to New York life!

<3, Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment