Monday, June 17, 2013

6 things I've learned in my 2 weeks in NYC




So, I've officially been in New York for 2 weeks and 2 days. Never having resided here before, here are some things I am noticing at this point in time:

  1. Water will randomly drip on you at random moments when you're walking. You look up after it happens and see blue sky. Do not be alarmed! It is just air conditioning units that are incredibly high up. (Kinda nasty, but I've come to accept this)

  2. Don't wait for the crosswalk to change to go, or you will look like a noob. I knew this going into living here, but I am actually starting to master the art of crossing the street now! (Though I had an experience the other night where my best friend claims I almost died, I was fine!)

  3. There are a lot of idiots out there, and you happen to encounter them all on your walk to work. Seriously, don't stop walking in the middle of the sidewalk. New Yorkers are supposed to all be fast movers and ahead of the curve on getting to places quickly, but not everyone here is lucky enough to have that skill.

  4. Common courtesy goes a long way. There have been a few times where I've held the door for someone and given the person a nice, "there ya go!" in the process - and they actually break out of their New York City shell of concentration and smile back. It's a great to be nice to people and have that niceness reciprocated!

  5. In a city with so many people, it's hard to believe that you can feel very alone at times. This is why you should never lose contact with your friends. NYC may be the biggest city in the world, but if you don't know anyone here, it can also feel very lonely (something that I felt when I first got here because a lot of my friends still haven't moved here yet!). Encourage friends to visit and plan things to do ahead of time so the feeling of impending doom and loneliness overcomes you!

  6. The city isn't that big when you learn where everything is. Now that I am more familiar with the neighborhoods, I like to walk EVERYWHERE! Kinda crazy, I've walked over 50 blocks at times, but no place is too far to walk if you plan the timing right. And walking around gives you better insight as to the characteristics of the different neighborhoods, so you really learn the city inside-out. I love it!

That's it for now. I'm sure in another month or so I'll have at least 10 more things I've learned!

Oh man, I do love New York.

<3, Charlotte

6 comments:

  1. Number 1 and 2, yes! I learned those when I started working in downtown Chicago. Number 2 especially. I find myself judging people who wait for the "walk" signal now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5. You don't realize how lonely being a grown up is when you're younger. Making friends as a grown up is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are hysterical and SOOOO true!! Enjoy nyc:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I had no idea that was true in Chicago, too! Maybe this post should just be called "6 things I've learned about living in a city" haha!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!! So far it's awesome :)

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete