Saturday, August 3, 2013

Apartment Search Day 1: figuring out the NYC apartment scene

Today I officially met with a broker and saw a few apartments! It was a very, very interesting experience.

I am quickly learning that not everything that my roommate and I want in an apartment is going to be possible. I did know that would happen to us before, but now that I have actually seen a few places, it has been officially shoved in my face and I have to accept it.

I WISH this is the type of places we were looking at!
We went to 2 different apartment buildings.

The first building was on 28th street between 1st and 2nd Avenue. It was beautiful - new, there was a doorman, laundry in the building, and literally the PERFECT apartment was one of the places that I saw there. Like I literally am in disbelief that that place was so amazing, and within our price range. But the location is just too inconvenient. We want to be more central, with 2nd Avenue being the FARTHEST east we could go. And we want to be closer to a subway than that building is.

The second building was on 38th between Park and Lex. It was an older building but still had a doorman and laundry. One of the places could have worked but it was just too expensive. The other couldn't convert into a 2 bedroom and have a decent sized living room. So neither place really worked in that one.

So, even though I didn't find anything I learned A LOT today. And this broker that I met with was very nice and definitely has our best interest in mind. I told him what was good and bad about the places I saw so he knows what to look for to show me in the future. I also have a meeting with another broker tomorrow! Hopefully I can put some of my knew knowledge to use.

Ah, it's been such a crazy day, and it's not even 1pm!

<3, Charlotte

11 comments:

  1. Keep searching! You'll find the perfect place =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh thank you! I think so too, just stressed out right now not actually having found it!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your search. I hate moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, while you didn't find anything that will work for you, at least you gained some knowledge and insight about things. I know it can be such an EXHAUSTING process, but the more you search, the more you at least get a better understanding about what it is you want. So that's progress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck!! Now you know some more specifics about what you want :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tip - go to the neighborhood at night to make sure you feel safe. 28th between 1st & 2nd is okay but often there's a lot of riffraff around there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AH! Best of luck in the next few weeks finding a place, this is super exciting! I need to look too..haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's DEF a good idea. Yea also why we don't want past 2nd Ave - I feel like it gets seedy. 3rd Ave is ideal!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank youu! Yes, very successful day even though we didn't exactly find something - we now know what we're looking for and understand everything a lot more.

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks lovely!! Ahh good luck to you too - this whole process is so stressful they should provide therapy to everyone looking to move to prepare them!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m thrilled to hear that you learned a lot from your apartment hunt experience. You could totally use the lessons you’ve learned from this trip the next time you go for an apartment search. Although, I hope you found a great deal, so it would be a while before you have to find another.

    Susan Scott @ Ballarat Apartments

    ReplyDelete