Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day trip to Governor's Island

Yesterday, I was able to cross something off of my Summer Bucket List - taking a trip to Governor's Island! My friend Lizzy had texted me on Friday asking if I wanted to go to this French festival or something like that that was taking place there. Honestly, I didn't completely want to go all the way there, but I felt like actually going to Governor's Island wasn't going to happen unless I decided to commit to it, so I decided I should go. (Sidenote: get prepared for a picture FRENZY on this post. I took so many because it was so neat there!)


Festival from afar
Festival from afar
It was incredibly fun! Not only is it nice that the ferry ride there is free, the island itself is so beautiful. The festival was primarily for children, but there were a lot of people our age there, as well.  There were vintage-looking rides, live music, food, and a ton of random things to see and experience!

Live music!
Live music!
We ended up going on this swing ride. The line was kind of longer than was necessary, but we figured that we should go out on the limb and wait for it. Since it was so hot outside it actually felt so nice to be swinging in the wind! Definitely was funny to see how old the ride was though - I spent a lot of the ride hoping that it wasn't going to break and that my swing wasn't going to go flying on its own at any point. Yes, we did have to pay $3 to go on it, but it was definitely worth every penny spent.

Swing ride!
Swing ride!
Pocket wall
Pocket wall
One of the coolest things that we saw was this giant sheet with a bunch of pockets on it. You could take a piece of paper and write ANYTHING you wanted and put it in a pocket for someone else to discover and read. Now, if this had been something in an adult environment, things would have gotten OUT OF CONTROL. But all the written things we found in the pockets were so cute. I remember one was something like "Help Africa". Absolutely adorable to think of the little kid that wrote that for others to read.

One thing they don't ever mention about Governor's Island (or at least I never heard it before) was how pretty the view of the Financial District is. I was in complete awe seeing it from that angle - I took so many pictures it was unreal. (OBVI I needed to upload one to Instagram!)

Yup, this is on my Instagram :) Absolutely b-e-a-utiful!
We weren't even there for that long, but by the time we had walked around the entire island, I was EXHAUSTED. An incredibly fun day, and I'm so glad I got off my lazy behind and did it! I will definitely be going back sometime in the future. (And now I have something to add to my NYC Checklist! Still don't know how much I like that title btw)

<3, Charlotte

5 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful! IF I ever go to NYC, I'll need to stop here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! There are different things happening there all the time. Definitely a good idea to check out!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Instagram pic of the city is so perfect! Really enjoyed your post!
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Governor's Island; so much fun in the summer! I recently moved 2 hours north from the city and I miss it so much! Did you go to the jazz age lawn party there this past weekend? I went last year & it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah no I missed that! That sounds amazing though!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete