Monday, August 5, 2013

Battle of the Smartphones: the iPhone 5 vs. the Galaxy S4

It's that time of (every 2) year(s) again. My contract is up with AT&T and I get to get a new phone and renew! For now (and probably forever since we've been grandfathered into unlimited data), I am on my parents phone plan. I honestly do not have the funds to have my own phone contract, and it's not that much for my line to be on their bill. Thanks mom and dad. YOLO.

Now, I am a HUGE Apple fan. It's probably because I am in advertising and I love strong brands and analyzing what makes them succeed. I mean, Steve Jobs introduced the iPad (which really had no purpose - laptops and smartphones are quite sufficient) and he created some kind of desire in society to shell out roughly $500/piece and it became a smashing success! You don't see that happen every day, folks.

Lately though, my iPhone 4s has been a PIECE. OF. CRAP. It sucks. But really - it's always freezing and not working properly. I get texts 20 minutes after they've been sent to me, and everything is running incredibly slow. I am getting SOOO fed up with it! Essentially, I feel like if I end up getting the iPhone 5, the same things will happen.

 I mean, this picture doesn't even compare. The Galaxy is the clear winner!
So, what phone would be an alternative to the iPhone 5? Enter the Samsung Galaxy S4. First of all, the display is BEAUTIFUL. The screen is so pretty and big and has much better resolution. I have looked at a lot of sites and I feel like the Galaxy has better performance, as well. Sometimes, I tend to be rougher on my phones, and I think the Galaxy is more durable. I just feel like it would be an overall better choice for me to make if I got the S4 instead of the iPhone.

But I love the Apple brand! And I am comfortable using the iPhone. And most of my friends have iPhones and iMessaging is great. But I also feel like the Galaxy is the better phone. Plus I do enjoy its commercials - The next best thing is already here.

I'm completely torn! And I need to make a decision PRONTO, before my current iPhone falls apart on me.

<3, Charlotte

19 comments:

  1. We're grandfathered in, too! Ain't life grand?

    I love my iPhone. When it's time for an upgrade in winter, I'll get whatever version they have then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My iPhone has been dying so fast lately....seriously thinking about switching to galaxy come contract time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own neither iPhone or galaxy but I own the latest iPad and had an iPod. I'm somewhat of a fan of Apple. But yeah the S4 might just be the one. If you dont want to abandon your beloved apple products then stick with the iphone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh I probably will end up sticking with the iPhone for fear of social consequences if I do not haha. And yes, it is sooo grand to be grandfathered in!!!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still not sure what I'm going to do yet...AHHH!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh I know, this is why I think I will stick with it - the integration is great.

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally in the same boat. I'm also considering a windows phone, like a Nokia Lumia 920. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness I haven't even thought about going that route! Ahhh I'm not sure. Honestly I just feel like Apple has so many advantages with apps and the fact that most of the population uses their products. In my mind it's only between that and the Galaxy S4. Good luck - let me know what you end up deciding!!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah that's a good point. I also have a Macbook so I guess that would make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm taking the Samsung GS4 over the iPhone. I really love every inch of the GS4 it's looks and specifications!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had some bad experiences with Android-based products. I had one die completely two months after buying it and my friend has only had his phone for a year and it won't charge unless it's turned off. Oh, and it turns off randomly during the day or night so he can't use it as an alarm clock anymore.

    My iPhone 4 is also having a ton of problems, but it's also two years old. The new iOS is about to come out and everybody swears up and down that my phone will be able to run it, but I KNOW I'm going to have to get the new phone if I want my phone to actually function. All new app updates and such are targeted towards the 5 which is a much faster phone.

    Getting a new phone is always such a hard decision and I completely hate it because I hate re-setting everything up. Total first world problem, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg I knowww it's like the most beautiful interface ever!!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha this is seriously the biggest first world problem EVER! I know, I've heard the 5 is better too, but they are completely changing something for the 6 I think...maybe I should wait until then?

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know how much longer I can hold out! (Seriously, working on a post about my hatred of buying a new phone and just said that the only way my phone could die any faster is if somebody used the killing curse from Harry Potter on it.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, coming from a group of friends who HATE apple products (they are IT geeks), they much prefer Samsung over all. I have several friends who when it came time to get a new phone, switched to Samsung (they too had an iPhone). Take it or leave it, really all depends on what you want to do with your phone. If the Samsung will give you what you're looking for, then by all means switch to Samsung. By the way, doesn't AT&T have the 30 day rule, if you don't like it we'll switch it out? I have AT&T and have had to switch phone. Break the mold, go with what you like, not the common denominator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're totally right. I think I need to go play around with the Galaxy for a little more before I decide. And maybe read some more reviews online, those experts know what they're talking about better than I do!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love my Galaxy 2 and when it comes time...Galaxy 5 or whatever. Bigger screen superfast, I think the only thing about an Android is that they don't get as many apps. I would research if the Android has the apps you want.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes good point! I should do research in the app department. Except the ones I mainly use are social media, which are pretty standard. And snapchat. So I'd probably be okay!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, most of them are pretty standard on all phones so I think you are good. Plus, wow screen is so much bigger.

    ReplyDelete