Friday, August 23, 2013

My first Soul Cycle experience


Last night I was supposed to go to dinner with my new roommate (I've kind of moved in to my new apartment, details to come about that in another post). We wanted to have a girls night where we went to a cute place, drank wine, and got to know each other better.

Then, yesterday, I got a text while I was at work:

"Hey, do you want to go to Soul Cycle instead tonight? We can get dinner and drink in our apartment after, I just really want to go and get a good workout!"

Now, I am really not a fan of exercise in general, that's why I joined an adult swim team, because I don't like working out if I'm not training for something. But I had heard some interesting things about Soul Cycle and how it is an amazing workout (even though it's pretty pricey), so I decided to go.

We went to the 8:30 class in Noho. It wasn't packed (which I guess apparently these classes always are), but that's probably because we are the only crazy people who would do this on a Thursday night (Seriously cannot believe I did this instead of actually going out!). The place was SUPER fancy - very white and chic - I loved the atmosphere! They do a great job of setting the mood of the entire place.

These are the fancy shoes. They are difficult to walk in.
That was fun to figure out!
You have to get these special shoes for the bike. Because it was my first time, they were free, but usually they are $3 and clip into the bike. So you are basically chained to this piece of workout equipment and forced to spin your brains out. Also you need to book your bike in advance! (Especially important for the classes the fill up, unlike the one we were in).

The class itself was great! They incorporated core exercises and free weights for various upper body lifting. And all that was done while spinning! I was a little disappointed of how out of shape I was. I couldn't do the entire thing all out. Swimming is in a 2 week hiatus right now because the pool is closed, but once I get in shape I want to go back again.

We actually decided that we are going to go back right before Thanksgiving. That will give me time to improve my overall fitness AND then I will be able to eat as much as I want during the holiday! Win-win situation over here.

So yes, overall AMAZING experience. Our instructor was great, and I had a good time (despite feeling like I was dying for the majority of it)!

<3, Charlotte

4 comments:

  1. I'm in need of a good workout! Looks like you had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great! I would definitely recommend trying it out, I was surprised that a spinning class found a way to work in upper-body stuff, too.

      <3, Charlotte

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting but fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes it was a fun time! Very tiring but so so worth it.

      <3, Charlotte

      Delete